Unable to decide what to read now and perhaps a little 'unable to leave go to the book I just finished.
I just finished Step in Tehran and strangely I find it difficult to find a book to love ... or at least to read!
In a book written entirely from very personal reflections of the trip addressed to Virginia Woolf and then adapted for any reader, I was struck by this passage on the letters to friends.
It 's almost as hard to believe in Persia in England than it is in England to believe in the existence of Persia. Rebuild piece by piece, from various letters, as are our friends and what they do, it is as a game, like a jigsaw puzzle, clear, fascinating, but difficult to connect in some way to real life. Yet it has its value, since it cuts a new facet on the gem of friendship. Stay in touch with friends only by letter, show them to us under a new profile posted, separated from the apparatus of personality: appearance, voice, gestures are no longer there to mislead and confuse, what we get is the essence, certainly incomplete, piecemeal, perhaps, but pure in its partiality. And so the letters become a really fascinating game, in which we are forced to enter all the resources of our imagination. In addition, fragments are set aside in our memory, small fragments disconcerting, now click into place, and are glad to have made a discovery so enlightening, even at such a distance. We will come back from our friends on a more solid, and not, as you might imagine, having made a separation between their lives and ours.
Step in Tehran - Vita Sackville-West
Well, completed this small task that I had promised myself I am to decide what to read now. I reduced it down to three books and maybe if someone wants to help me choose my next read ...
these books are (it appears that I messed with Anobii, eh?: D)
Good Omens! - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Feet of Clay - Terry Pratchett
Hitchhiking with Buddha - Will Ferguson
A tip / preference / review?
0 comments:
Post a Comment